Our Story

Modbury School P-7 has a long history in our community. The school was officially opened in May, 1877 and was situated in Wesleyan Chapel, with an initial enrolment of 9 students.

 

In 1881, a new room and adjoining teacher's residence was built on land donated by Mr. R. S. Kelly on Montague Road, near the corner of Reservoir Road. The cost of this building was originally 965 pounds, 10 shillings and 6 pence.  The building has now been converted into a local restaurant. 

 

By 1883, the average attendance at the school was 29 students and by 1955, it had increased to 56 students. In 1962, as the community area became more established, enrolments at the school swelled to 311 students with 7 teachers.

 

This dramatic increase in student numbers necessitated the building of the new Modbury School P-7 site on Golden Grove Road. In May 1963, with an enrolment of 451 students, the children and staff from years 3 to 7 moved from Montague Road into their new building. By 1966, the number of students had risen to 1000. Modbury Infant School (Preschool) remained in the old school building on Montague Road until 1967 when a new building adjacent to the Primary School was opened. Since then the school has undergone many changes. Modbury School P-7 is proud of its heritage and excited about its future.